Thursday, November 13, 2014

#2: Water Table Fun

It is eventually my goal to publish a blog post once a week, but with the massive backlog of photos to share, the first few posts will likely be published more frequently than once a week.

This "photo shoot" took place on 09/07/2014.  My subject is my friend's cute kid, little D. 99 pictures were taken.  Only 7 are shared in this post.

All pictures were taken with my Canon EOS REBEL T3 and "nifty fifty" fixed lens (EF 50mm f/1.8 II).  The following info applies to all photos below, unless otherwise stated:
 
       Shooting Mode - Manual
       Metering Mode - Center Weighted Average
              (I forgot about this setting so this was the default)
       Lighting - Mostly natural (outdoors) and no additional flash used
       No post-production editing done

IMG_5795
Settings: f/1.8, 1/1250 sec, ISO 100

What's Good: I <3 this picture.  It was the first shot taken during this shoot.  I should have stopped there and called it a day, cuz I nailed it. =)

What's Bad / Improvements: Need to learn how to shoot around/with the shadows.
IMG_5806
Settings: f/2.2, 1/4000 sec, ISO 160

What's Good: I love the way the movement of the water is frozen and droplets are in focus.

What's Bad / Improvements:  I'd like this shot to be a little brighter, next time.  Again, need to learn to work around/with the shadows.
IMG_5819
Settings: f/1.8, 1/1600 sec, ISO 100

What's Good: This is a super cute and playful shot.  I'm happy with the exposure. I love how the bubbles perfectly frame little D and are in focus, though that was not the intent.

What's Bad / Improvements: I'd like to get D more in focus and more extreme bokeh going with the bubbles.
IMG_5826
Settings: f/1.8, 1/2000 sec, ISO 100

What's Good: I love how this shot is framed and I'm happy with the depth of field (DOF).  This is how I prefer my portraits be framed.  Up close and tight.

What's Bad / Improvements: Need to get D more in focus and need to lift the shadows from his body.  Need to learn how to brighten up my subject just a smidge, in harsh sunlight that's casting those pesky shadows.
IMG_5862
Settings: f/1.8, 1/100 sec, ISO 1250
Shot taken indoor

What's Good: Again, I like the way this shot is framed and the DOF is good.  I love getting up close like this.  Also, I'm told the recent trend has been to crop the tops of heads just a bit.  So there you go, I'm trendy and I know it.

What's Bad / Improvements: Need to get him in focus more.  Need to work on my indoor technique.

IMG_5874
Settings: f/1.8, 1/250 sec, ISO 2500
Shot taken indoor

What's Good: The brim of that hat is perfectly in focus! Ya, that's not what I was aiming for...I don't recall if I moved around the focus points or not.

What's Bad / Improvements:  Either need to get D's face more in focus OR tilt the hat down a bit, and get the SD in crisp focus.
IMG_5890
Settings: f/1.8, 1/50 sec, ISO 800
Shot taken indoor, built-in flash was used

What's Good: I think this shot is slightly over-exposed, but I think it works here.  It definitely brings out D's bright blue eyes and gives him an angelic glow.

What's Bad / Improvements:   I'd like to crop it tighter, next time.  And try to get the exposure right, without the use of a flash.









As with blog #1, I feel there is room to sharpen up most of these images.  I'm eager to learn how Lightroom and Photoshop will help with that challenge.  A better lens and off-camera lighting will also help.  All in due time.

Please leave me some feedback!  I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas on how you might take these shots differently.  I especially need some tips and tricks on photographing children, if you have any.

xoxo to everyone!
~Sassy Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment